Dull matrices, Orca trolls

From: Thomas Doniol-Valcroze <tconrad_at_orbital.fr>
Date: Fri, 25 Apr 1997 14:42:02 +0200

Greetings everyone.

About spell matrices:

- ---------------------

James Frusetta:
>Hmm... I always considered matrices to be "hard-wired" -- you puts the
>magic points in and get your result.

Lewis Jardine:
>IMO a spell matrix is exactly as the name implies.
>It is a device that turns magical energy into the spell effect.

How dull! How sad! So that's what a matrix is in your game? Put MPs and wait for the result? What's the difference between that and an electric torch?
Where is the magic?

What I like in the matrices is the wonder: when you touch a light matrix, you feel like you can do more than before; you *know* how to make light. The object shares some of its power with you. Your mind is expanding to new secrets and powers.
And when you stop touching it, there is a feeling of loss; you remember what you were able to do, but you know that you can't do it anymore.

That's why matrices are precious, rare and why people who can make them inspire respect and awe.

All IMO, of course.

About Orca trolls:

- ------------------

James Frusetta and Daniel McCluskey are doing wonderful troll/orca parallels:

>Out of curiousity: how do you explain the mythic connection to Orca? Is
>Orca considered a trollish ancestor of the clan? Maybe the result of
>a mating between Kyger Litor or Kogag and a water god(ess)?

In RW, many myths describe matings between human ancestors and dolphins or orcas. Other myths say that dolphins are in fact humans who have been transformed into marine mammals for various reasons. Hence the close connection (friendship?) between the two species. Hence the fact that killer whales do not attack mankind.

(Note: this has nothing to do with my personnal belief that whales do come from outer space... :) )

Anyway, I must admit that orcas do have much in common with trolls: they eat everything they find, they have sonar, they are matriarchals, they are fierce hunters, they are more intelligent than weak human beings (isn't it, James?), they play trollball with the seals and... they don't like the sun (they risk serious sunburns)!

>A related question: are there any sea-mammal hsunchen? Will the orca
>trolls be forced to battle the dread Sea Lion Hsunchen? ;)

Huh? "dread Sea Lions"? Have you seen what killer whales do with sea lions?... :)

Yours, Thomas.