RE: Glorantha Digest V4 #361

From: Daniel McCluskey (Volt) <"Daniel>
Date: Fri, 25 Apr 1997 08:02:54 -0700

James finds some holes in my supposition...

        Hmmm... trolls in Glorantha mostly seem to have survived in areas that

        humans find marginal (say, the Blue Moon Plateu or Valind's Glacier) or

        that are relatively inaccessible (Dakori Inkarth), or both and

	how do you explain the mythic connction to Orca? Is
	Orca considered a trollish ancestor of the clan? Maybe the
result of
	a mating between Kyger Litor or Kogag and a water god(ess)?
um, ah... the first one is a good point... my original thought was that they would have been under the protection of the OOO, but they would certainly have been wiped out by now in that case. Mirrorsea Bay was never affected by the closing, so they really are in big trouble. Maybe they live in or just north of the Kingdom of Ignorance? still more out of the way than I'd LIKE, but thems the breaks... It could also be that (like the RW culture) they HAVE been wiped out, except as legends and stories. Could provide a compelling backstory for some campaign, or some neat archeological adventures...

I don't think that Orca would be an ancestor to the trolls, but maybe a distant cousin of some sort. The parallels are pretty compelling... Matriarchal, family loving hunters. I wouldn't be supprised if Sea Trolls turned out to be the result of some troll Hero(ine) making it with Orca (I'm just assuming that the Killer Whale ancestor godd(ess) would be named Orca now). It could also be tied in with the sea battles to defend the spike, with whales/sea trolls being mutated (either by chaos or by themselves to fight chaos) in/for the fight... We could also have Korasting as the mother of Cetaceans by some sea god, with Sperm Whales (mighty hunters of the Dark Depths) as the "mistress" variety pre-darkness and orca as the "dark troll" analogue. (hmm... I wonder if anyone has spotted whale-kin (manatees?) since the Gabaji incident?)

I'm blathering, sorry... I will go get coffee now. danm