telmori and uz

From: Peter Metcalfe <P.Metcalfe_at_student.canterbury.ac.nz>
Date: Sat, 26 Apr 1997 21:09:52 +1200

Thomas Gottschall:

>Question 1 : Does anybody know the "real" (I know that there is no
>ultimate Truth but I ask anyway) story of what happened to the Telmori
>and if they were cursed or blessed ?

The best source of information on the Telmori is Dorastor: Land of Doom. The story goes that the Telmori originally supported Nysalor and were blessed with the ability to turn into a wolf once per week without having to do invoke great magic. The important thing is that they didn't have to change. The Telmori then fought against Talor the Laughing Warrior who twisted their blessing around so they had to change whether they wanted to or not. There are some Telmori who never actually accepted Nysalor's gift in the first place so they are not involuntary werewolves. They are rare and live in Ralios.

It's a good question as to whether the chaos taint stems from the original gift of Nysalor *or* from Talor's curse. I prefer the latter explanation myself.

However the above story does have a number of problems. The main problem is that the Telmori who accepted the blessing are Fronelan Telmori (who later migrated to Peloria, Ralios and Dragon Pass). However Fronela (where they lived) was not part of Nysalor's Empire but was ruled by something called the 'Kingdom of Beasts' who appear to have their own heroes (Garanian Auroch, Varganthyr the Unconquerable Knight and Arinsor). Between them and Nysalor's Empire lies the land of Pelanda which was also independant and opposed to Nysalor's Empire. So from whom did the Telmori get their blessing from? There's also the timeline problem which I won't get into here.

>Question 2: Would there be a difference between what happens to Telmori
>on wilddays and between the spells of mighty Telmor. I think there
>should be one because the first one is chaotic the other isn't ?

I don't think so. Rather the chaotic effect of the wildday curse is that it is involuntary. It has also been suggested that the curse increases the savagery of the Telmori while under the influence but I suspect that normal Telmori can be just as ferocious.

>Question 3: In which direction does Magasta's Pool spin and why ?

Anticlockwise. No mythic reason is known.

James Frusetta:

>I can't remember -- was the Sea o' Fog a Closing effect?

A good question. I've assumed it wasn't. Upon reflection I'm not so sure. The Kralori have great big barges which are designed so that when the ship is immobilized by fog, the crew can still fight. These ships were however built during the Closing.

But the Uz migrated to Koromandol from Bliss in Ignorance during the Second Age (after being defeated by the Old Mandarins). So the Koromandol Uz would have been vunerable to sea radiers during the 'New Deal' of the False Dragons Ring. Of course, they could have grown to such huge numbers when the Closing struck...