Re: Telmori & chaos

From: Tim Ellis <tim_at_timellis.demon.co.uk>
Date: Sat, 26 Apr 1997 17:54:49 +0100

Peter Metcalfe to Thomas Gottschall

>>Second, we Telmori are no chaotics ! We were cursed by Gbaji because we
>>fought agains him. But we lost and thus we shall remain cursed and turn to
>>manwolves every wildday.
>
>So Talor was really Gbaji in disguise?

To the Telmori, undoubtably, since Gbaji seems to be Gloranthan shorthand for "That nasty god/hero that really screwed everything up for us at the end of the second age"

I reckon that "pure" Telmori are not Chaotic at all, and "cursed" Telmori are, if anything, chaos-tainted (like cave-trolls) rather than chaotic (like Broo). They are to be pitied rather than hated, certainly within their own societies. If they were Chaotic, I doubt even Sartar could have found them a place in the Sartarite nation, but I am also sure that when neighbouring tribes go raiding them, they use the fear of chaos to whip up hatred and anger.

The Telmori agreed to support Sartar in return for his help in freeing them from Talor/Gbaji's Curse. When some, or all of them went over to the Lunar side it was probably because the Lunars were prepared to accept them for what they were, rather than hate and fear them for it, and may also have used illumination to free the telmori of their own hatred of the curse. They may additionally have been able to persuade the Telmori that The Red Goddess was more likely or more able than Sartar to free them from the curse.

I know in HotB I and IV Goram Whitefang and his Telmori stayed loyal and fought against the Lunars (even if Termatain had already skipped town) - how did they side in II and III?

| Tim Ellis           EMail tim_at_timellis.demon.co.uk                      |
| What is the use of a book without pictures or conversations?            |

End of Glorantha Digest V4 #364