orca and things

From: David Cake <davidc_at_cyllene.uwa.edu.au>
Date: Sun, 27 Apr 1997 10:56:23 +0800 (WST)

Orca - I admit to great annoyance, as I was planning to write some stuff

about the Orca, after taking my little sister to see a whale exhibit at a science museum last week, and my ideas were in somewhat different directions. So the thread that has suddenly sprouted means I'll have to rethink that story I'm half way through.

	I was thinking more in terms of the orca matriarchy leading to 'deep'
	worship of Triolina. I don't think from the orca point of view they are
	too keen on trolls, as I imagine sea trolls to be their main predator.
	I imagine the orca originating from the same roots as the cetoi triolini, that is basically the rape of sea powers by the storm gods.

	I'm sure we can come up with some interesting combination of ideas with
	elements of both points of view.

> Issaries has no healing powers
> but he is a psychopomp, so he can send your soul back to the land of
the
> living and resurrect you.

        Issaries has, like all gods with access to common divine, the ability to give his priests quite decent healing, using Heal Wound (assume Issaries can back it with infinite mps instantly). Which just goes to show that the abilities of most gods are much wider than a simple look at their mythic role would imply (Issaries himself, of course, also has Spell Trading so could whip out any damn thing).

> So I'd have to back up a bit and say that while Arachne Solara is
> new to Peloria, they do know of a similar goddess. Arachne Solara
> was probably introduced when the first embassies were made between
> the Lunar Empire and Cliffhome (ie around the fall of Tarsh).

        I'll sort of agree - the Lunars have not always known that their GlorOranor is the same as Arachne Solara, but they recognise it now.

        I'm not sure that we can reject an earlier identification just because a few ignorant Orlanthi in 'the song of Horned Ulf' (written a long time ago) don't know of her. But I'll get back to you.

Lunar deities
Deezola
> She is not a Chalana Arroy clone but more connected with 'Earth
Magics'
> and is venerated by Nobles and Poets. Despite this her cult is small.

        Deezola does have disease fighting aspects, though. Previous writeups have made this more preventative - spells protect people against disease, rather than cure them after the fact.

        But if you want a Chalana Arroy clone, look at Erissa, the Pelorian 'White Lady', regarded as a sub-cult of CA in lands that know of both,

        but it may be the other way around in Dara Happa.

Nick mentions
> Tales #12 had the Cult of Granite
> Phalanx, a typical regimental cult for Hoplites*.

        and then says its obligatory to mention that I dislike the cult - - not quite true - I just dislike a couple of their spells, thats all. The rest of the cult writeup is pretty good, and I've certainly used it in my game, whith minor alterations. As a model of regimental cult, most useful, though annoying to play in most games unless accompanied by a regiment, due to the way the spells work.

        Cheers

                David