windmills and soggy Hsunchen

From: TTrotsky_at_aol.com
Date: Sun, 27 Apr 1997 13:45:36 -0400 (EDT)

TTrotsky_at_aol.com

Re: Steve Martin, Digest #365
>Unless of course windmills are completely unknown to the Orlanthi...

As far as I recall, in the RW, the windmill as we know it was invented in the 16th century, so this seems a fair bet. Unless you mean those little medieval post-windmill thingies which frankly wouldn't look very impressive as temple decoration (and certainly ain't a tower anyway). I suppose they could use windmills purely as a means of decoration, but that doesn't seem very likely IMO. James Frusetta, Digest #361
>Are there any sea-mammal Hsunchen?

Sounds like a good idea to me, though I don't recall any being mentioned anywhere. Perhaps it's my zoologist's training, but I think Hsunchen are pretty cool and I'm all for new ones (within reason). I think some of the RW Inuit regard the seal as an important totem, so I'd say seal Hsunchen seem likely around the coast of the White Sea. They could at least run into the Pentans or Erigians and maybe even the Lunars, although otherwise it's a pretty remote location.

     What about dolphin Hsunchen somewhere in the Eastern Isles? They'd be fishermen and sailors, maybe somewhat like the RW Polynesians. That would allow them to travel great distances, and establish colonies on some pretty far off (to them) islands, making it more likely for them to contact PCs, and thus have some game relevance.

      Might make a interesting short campaign, since their transformation spells would let them act quite a lot like mermen (the other East Islanders would probably think they are mermen). Which would let you play humans, which are at least fairly comprehensible and yet still come into contact with Triolini.

      Having said which, those Daniel McCluskey's orca trolls would likely have far more trouble from the Ysabbau than from any Hsunchen. Physically, an Ysabbau is even scarier than your average dark troll, although they presumably aren't as numerous. Although both trolls and Ysabbau are darkness creatures, I suspect this only gives them even more excuse to fight each other. According to the Bestiary, they live in all oceans, so they're potential enemies no matter where you put the orca trolls (I agree with the Koromondol theory myself). And, fun though Hsunchen are, at least they don't involve inventing another previously unheard-of culture.

All hail the Reaching Moon

      Trotsky