Walrus Hsunchen

From: richardc_at_sypte.co.uk
Date: Mon, 28 Apr 1997 12:14:57 +0100

Slightly off-topic I know but I can't help mentioning that one of Terry Pratchett's early books, Strata - it's a mild spoof on Ringworld, includes a walrus-like alien race who are unable to eafily fpeak human languagef becaufe of their very long fangf (of which they are inordinately proud). The character of this race (obviously filling the Kzin role) is unusual in that he has had his fangs sawn off and reattached with dismountable screw fastenings.
_

I guess the huge intelligent Walrus of the far northern seas have a minor communication cult (runes - water, communication and seperation?) who possess a unique divine magic allowing them to temporarily sever their tusks when dealing with other races. Obviously the practicioners of this demeaning art are regarded with distaste by their fellows.
_

Richard Crawley
richardc_at_sypte.co.uk (work)
richstella_at_aol.com (home)
...another spinner of strange and gauzy threads...