Re: Counsel for Trent

From: Stephen Watson <stephen_at_kerofin.demon.co.uk>
Date: Mon, 28 Apr 1997 09:31:26 +0100

In message <04.199704251422.OAA00806_at_erzo.org>

          Nick Brooke <Nick_Brooke_at_compuserve.com> wrote:

> > POW and one-use spells: ...one-use divine/rune magic seems almost
> > useless. It certainly couldn't be used with any regularity, or the
> > caster's POW would drop to nothing fairly quickly.
>
> It's worse than that: the only initiates who would make it to Priest
> would be the ones who *never* invoked the Divine power of their god.
> (You need to hold 10 *uncast* points of one-use rune magic to become a
> priest, by the book). This gives us Storm Bull berserkers who've never
> cast Berserk, Humakti afraid to use Truesword, and other daft
> anomalies.

The rules-lawyer in me hurries to point out that Wind Lords, Swords, Storm Khans and the like do not have "standard requirements" and therefore do not need to have 10 points of divine magic. However Storm Voices and others do need it and for them it makes little sense.

I favour 1 point per HHD for initiates, all points for Rune Lords giving them the magical advantage they lack in the standard rules.