Godtime et al.

From: Merlin Oliver Cox <merlin_at_easynet.co.uk>
Date: Mon, 28 Apr 1997 20:27:27 +0100

Convulsion last year: someone asks what Glorantha is like after the last events of King of Sartar; Greg points out of the window. Several people here seem to think the godplane is just a mythic shadow of physical events: but that's the way it is on earth and Glorantha is much more magical and less mythically alienated. Although the godplane is alterable by the actions of people, it's also the prephenomenal realm, i.e. where symbolic things live before they're rendered each time in the world. Good words about Orlanth on Loren Miller's new page: a gesture towards what he looks like rather than a description. If Time isn't a fundamental change, how did it stop Chaos, which is unstoppable? Causality existed before the First Age but it was very different then.

   Except: if Greg wanted _us_ to _think_ Glorantha was how I just said, to see what premodern people were like, he went about it the right way.

Dead Man: a black and white western directed by Jim Jarmusch, with Johnny Depp (and Robert Mitchum in a cameo), solo guitar score by Neil Young. All good things, plus it's a Humakti heroquest. I recommend it to everyone who's into death or truth.

What's the crosspiece on the Death rune?

I assume the intent of the RQ POW% mechanic for divine intervention is like the % rule for Illumination, to give a guide as to how often it happens. Does it work POW% of the time it's called for? It seems obvious anyway that there's sometimes much more chance than POW and sometimes much less. Since DI usually doesn't work, the mechanic means that the way to DI successfully is to try it a lot of times, when in fact it's the people who call a few, correct times who are responded to. Also, the fact that many rune level people can almost always DI if they haven't done it recently suggests the degree of alignment with the god needed to bring him into you is relatively low: less than that needed to use some rune magics...

Merlin