Telmori

From: Peter Metcalfe <P.Metcalfe_at_student.canterbury.ac.nz>
Date: Tue, 29 Apr 1997 11:08:37 +1200

I thought I sent this out but it doesn't seem to have appeared. My apologies for any duplication.

Thomas Doniol-Valcroze:

[Thomas has a player who wants to become a Light Servant yet needs 80% in the two of the three R's].

>So what should I do? Tell my player "Take a year off and study your
>writing skills" ?
>What would you do?

Bribery.

Failing that, one could make friends with the Priest adminstering the exam and get him to tell you the text he's going to make you read. You can then get someone to read you the text so you can commit it to memory. You then also need to take acting lessons so that you can declaim the text while giving the impression that you are actually reading it.

Tim Ellis:

>And while
>the Telmori don't sit around crying over their wild-day curse, They
>surely don't see it as "natural" - it wouldn't be a curse then!

Why not? Death is mythically a curse to a good number of gloranthans yet it is perfectly natural.

>where a Telmori would like to be free to
>worship Telmor without being forced to run around in wolf form once a
>week.

I don't think this is a overriding desire of theirs. The nature of Telmori culture is such that the curse is merely just one of life's little nuisances like monday mornings, menstrual cycles or tax returns are to us. Sure life would be wonderful without it but it's really not that much of a big deal.

>Other races are (obviously) not so important as the Telmori, but
>peaceful co-existance is the preferred interaction with most, if not all
>of them, most, if not all of the time.

I doubt that this were true. The antagonism and past history on both sides is such that the Telmori would wish their neighbours were dead IMO. The capacity of the Telmori to understand the PoV of their neighbours is on par with the average Bosnian/Serb/Croat, Hutu/Tutsi or Orange/Green. Sartar is the exception precisely because of the debt they owe to the Sartarite Royal House. Even then the Aranwyth are looking for a chance to put the mutts down.

David Cake:

> A possible unifying alternative - perhaps the full elf ability to
>sense the song of the forest is developed fully through Aldrya initiation.

We've been through this. Runners and Female Green Elves feel the Song just as strongly as ordinary elves yet progress no higher than Children of the Forest. Thus I would tie to full sexual maturity which explains why adolescent elves are less attached to the forest.