Humakti, Telmori, Runes

From: Paolo Guccione <p.guccione_at_geco.it>
Date: Tue, 29 Apr 1997 01:46:01 +0200

Joseph Troxell
- --------------

> I finally borrowed a copy of TotRM #5. What I remember being said is that a
> Humakti should only get access to Sever Spirit and Berserk if they proved
> something.

I do not have TotRM #5 at hand, but I seem to remember it states that Humakti do not CAST Sever Spirit or Berserk light-heartedly. Nothing to do with learning them. Of course, your character does not want to sacrifice for a spell he will not be incline to cast unless he has good reasons to do so.

IMG, I rule that spells that are labeled one-use actually require a full HeroQuest (a Practice Quest, for HQ taxonomists) to learn. Rune Lords are more likely to have them, though initiates are not forbidden to learn them.

> 1. Where is there information about the Lightbringers Quest? We all know
> the general story, but what about the details? Hasni just told me today
> that (at least in one version) the Lightbringers encounter Humakt in Hell,
> something I had never heard before. Further, who are Ginna Jar and Flesh
> Man? They don't appear anywhere else that I'm aware, and I'd like to know
> more about them.

KoS is the best source of information. It tells a lot, and still has obscure points. Weeks ago I ran one station of the LBQ with at least one player who had read KoS carefully, and I was still able to surprise the party with unexpected events.

Flesh Man is, IMHO, another (re)incarnation of Grandfather Mortal. I replace him with Humakt because I play in Ralios, where the Lord of Death is one of the Seven (i.e. either Arkat or the GLs messed up everything). As you can see, there are several versions, and several ways Humakt gets involved. The first question to ask is: where are your questers from?

Ginna Jar is not worshiped by anybody. No tale tells what he did on the LBQ. He was there, period.

Telmori
- -------

Peter Metcalfe and Tim Ellis finally pointed out the keyword to understanding Telmori behaviour. Prejudice! Yes, your werewolf neighbours are no more fiendish and mindless than your clan bullies. It is just that you are more incline to consider a creature "chaotic" just because it turns hairy and howling on some nights - and you know in advance when it happens, besides! If it were freezeday, would you rather let your cute young sister alone with the Telmori or with the Uroxi? Answer sincerely...

[ now I suggest that you read The Talisman by Stepen King and Peter Straub for an example of a very friendly werewolf ]

Paul Chapman
- ------------

> in case anyone
> hasn't noticed, each of the subcults is tied to one of Orlanth's runes:

> Thunderous=Air
> Adventurous=Movement
> Rex=Mastery

> and all rune magic basically seems to follow the same pattern.

That is exactly how I handle Orlanth's runes IMG. Every new initiate gains one each of Air, Movement, Mastery, plus one more from the subcult he is initiated into. I handle it similarly for Kyger Litor and Aldrya. As I stated, I assume that all pantheon leaders give four runes, with a variety of choices depending on subcults, while other cults give two or three runes.

For people who have not yet surfed my web site, the full description of many cults as applied to my RuneMagc system is at http://www.geco.it/~guccione/cultsample.html .

Paolo Guccione	p.guccione_at_geco.it
		http://www.geco.it/~guccione

End of Glorantha Digest V4 #370