answers galore

From: Peter Metcalfe <P.Metcalfe_at_student.canterbury.ac.nz>
Date: Tue, 29 Apr 1997 14:09:15 +1200

Joseph Troxell:

>1. Where is there information about the Lightbringers Quest? We all know
>the general story, but what about the details?

King of Sartar is the best source whereas Cults of Prax and/or Cults of Terror have good info. There is no canonical tale of the LBQ and the identities of the gods vary according to culture. If Humakt is involved in the LBQ then he is most often met at the Courts of Silence.

> Further, who are Ginna Jar and Flesh Man?

Ginna Jar is obscure and most orlanthi think she is the wyter of the Lightbringers. Gray Sages claim that she is really Arachne Solara or Glorantha but they would say that, wouldn't they?

Flesh Man was supposedly the son of Grandfather Mortal and witnessed the first death. This knowledge sent him insane and so he went the quest.

>2. What's the deal with Yanafir Tarnils? There seem to be several versions
>of him floating around. Basic idea is that he went against his lord. The
>version that I'm most familiar with is that he went against Humakt by
>helping to reconstruct the Red Goddess.

Two separate events here. Yanafal helped to reconstruct the Red Goddess and then he later defeated Humakt in battle (by being ressurected).

>3. Just read the long Dormal cult write up. The article mentions that
>Dormal is really only popular in the Holy Country. Which, begged the
>question, "Who do other sailors worship?" I'm sure the West (or most of the
>west) worships the Invisible God, and maybe Dormal as a saint. What about
>the rest of Glorantha?

Dormal is also popular in Pamaltela and in one Fonritan city, he is the state cult. The people of the east know a version of 'open seas' but it is not taught by the Dormal cult.

Trent Di Renna:

>1. Do acolytes or initiates get free POW increases? The basic rulebook
>says "yes" (one point every 3 years), but the GoG Cults book says "no". I
>would tend to think that the rulebook is correct, but I could be wrong...

The one point every three years is an averaged representation of the individuals attendance at the high holy day ceremonies (described under 'Worship Deity' in the magic book).

>2. Associate cult spells: Who would have access to these? Any initiate,
>or just priests? Does one have to be an initiate of the associate cult to
>get its spell? Finally, is the "associate" spell considered one-use or
>reusable?

Treat it as normal cult magic. Thus it would be one use to the initiates and re-usuable by the priests (certain spells are reserved for Rune levels). One does not need to join the associate cult as an initiate to get it.