I am a female ORLANTHI warrior and proud of it!

From: Chiara Condotta <C.Condotta_at_latrobe.edu.au>
Date: Tue, 29 Apr 1997 14:27:15 +1000 (EST)

Good Day to all, let me introduce myself. I am named Wend and I am from the Sambari Hills. I have a tale to tell, which may aid other women who need guidance in life. Unlike the other women of my stead I did not crave a family, or to settle down; so I left as I was ridiculed by my family and friends for my ambitions to fight and become a great warrior. I have been traveling through the wastelands and have lived in Pavis for the last two years. All this time I have looked for guidance from the Gods, as to how to live my life, how to conduct myself, and who to follow.

After great consideration I decided that Orlanthi was what I was. Never mind being female, I was an Orlanthi warrior and Orlanth has blessed my decision time and again. I tried the traditional path most women who wish to become warriors take by joining Babeester Gor, again and again I failed to pass the initiation rights.

Yet..
One night some friends and I were pleading for help from a Humakti, at one of their Orphanage temples, when a troll death lord called them out to do battle, their best against the troll champion. So, we all filed out of the Orphange to view the fight. Our group decided to check the area out and found the surrounding brush crawling with trollkin and trolls. These trolls were up to their usual tricks and were going to ambush the Humakti. Well, we called the alarm and the battle started. A troll began to make his way to where I was standing, he was huge and loomed before me as mighty as a mountain. I prepared my bow, and as I aimed I called to Orlanth to aid me and let my arrow fly true; sure enough I hit that massive troll straight between the eyes. The sound of his fall reverberated through the night. Needless to say the cowardly trolls fled into the night.

I was now undecided about where my destiny lay until an incident that occurred while traveling with a caravan in the wastes. We were attacked by a group of rhino. riders. The huge beasts were trampling over everything and everyone, Bryn was trapped under a dying Rhino with another huge beast and rider charging towards us. I stood my ground and raised my axe, I called out Orlanth's name and as I felled the rhino with one mighty stroke of my axe, I felt Orlanth's touch, as a cool breeze ruffle my hair.

Orlanth has called me as one of his (why follow Vinga when Orlanth has called, does a woman who wants to be a merchant follow Issaries daughter?). I am a great Orlanthi warrior, my name is Wend Death's friend and no one can gain say me this. I will be the greatest Runelord Glorantha has seen!

End of Glorantha Digest V4 #371