Yanafal Tarnils and Vinga

From: Paolo Guccione <teigupa_at_tss.tei.ericsson.se>
Date: Tue, 29 Apr 1997 14:27:47 +0200

Joseph Troxell
- --------------

> The premise of the cult is that
> their god, Yanafir Tarnils, went against Humakt. Turned his back, left the
> cult, and ended up fighting Humakt eventually. That doesn't sound like
> someone I'd trust that much!

There are times when a leader _must_ turn his or her back. This happens when a more important loyalty is at a stake. In the case of Yanafal, it was love for his people, enslaved by the corrupt Carmanians, who drove him against his former master, not lust for power or hatred towards Humakt. In most cultures this would not be considered dishonourable. Orlanthi would surely see this as honourable, because Orlanth himself would have behaved that way. And even the ocer-legalistic Western culture worships a Saint, St. Gerlant Flamesword, who let his master Arkat be defeated and enslaved in Hell by Gbaji in order to go and aid his people. So YT does have honour, after all. Or at least the 7M missionaries can convince Sartarites that he does.

Chiara Condotta

Very nice description. We need more of these on this list. But the appropriate cult for a female warrior in an Orlanthi clan is Vinga, not Babeester Gor. Vinga showed Orlanth that one need not be a male to be a warrior, and won a place in Orlanth's war circle. Babeester Gor is a goddes of revenge and utter destruction, not a suitable choice for a warrior who wishes to protect her people as you describe your character. Besides, the cults of Orlanth and Vinga have no clear boundaries, and a Vingan is still an initiate of Orlanth IMO. In other terms, she is the female subcult of Orlanthi warriors.

Paolo Guccione 		p.guccione_at_geco.it
			http://www.geco.it/~guccione