more Yanafal

From: Andrew Joelson <joelsona_at_cpdmfg.cig.mot.com>
Date: Tue, 29 Apr 1997 08:18:23 -0500

Joseph Troxell:
>	....  The premise of the cult is that their god, Yanafir Tarnils,

> went against Humakt. Turned his back, left the cult, and ended up
> fighting Humakt eventually. That doesn't sound like someone I'd trust
> that much! .....

        I am afraid that you are going at this the wrong way around. The premise of the cult is that Yanafal (note the spelling, please) is one of the Seven Mothers. Huzzah! Hurray! Let's hear it for the Seven Mothers of the Glorious Red Moon Goddess. He is also the Lunar War God; let's hear it for the Lunar Army! Praise and Honor to those brave men who conquered Dragon Pass!

        Humakt? Isn't he some barbarian god that Yanafal beat up? If you want more details, go ask at the temple.....

        Seriously, Yanafal Tar'nils studied under/served Humakt for many years prior to the Seven Mothers Quest. He eventually broke with Humakt over philisophical differences; the biggest was probably ressurection. This may well be the wrenching experience that Illuminated YT.

        As to not trusting YT, why would any Orlanthi trust Humakt? This is a guy who forswore his brother, Orlanth. True, Orlanth didn't treat him right (exactly what Orlanth did to Humakt varies from region to region). But to forswear kinship? Unheard of! Then, because Humakt is angry at Orlanth, he continues and forswears any kinship with the rest of his whole family! He cut himself off from all of his other brothers, sisters, cousins, etc; all because he was mad at Orlanth? This is trustworthy or honorable?

        What it boils down to in the end, is that the Orlanthi need a god of truth, honor, etc. They have Humakt, despite what is said above. The have some myths about Humakt that reinforce the idea, and they gain devine magics like Detect Truth from Humakt. The same is true for Yanafal Tar'- nils in the Lunar Empire. If it looks like a god of Truth & Honor, if it emphasizes these virtues with magic & rituals, then it is a god of Truth and Honor.

        (Please note, as I said in my last post, we are speaking more about the 7M sub-cult of YT.)

Andrew Joelson				    joelsona_at_cpdmfg.cig.mot.com  -|-
aka Rupert von Harl; Cults of Seven Mothers, Yanifal Tarnils and Humakt |  "Contradiction? No, I always did tend to kill chaos creatures anyway" /