humakt

From: Peter Metcalfe <P.Metcalfe_at_student.canterbury.ac.nz>
Date: Wed, 30 Apr 1997 03:42:09 +1200

Trent Di Renna:

>How does RQ2 magic differ from RQ3 magic? I know that the older magic
>system has spirit and divine magic, but what about sorcery? Was this
>handled by a special version of spirit magic (like Lunar sorcery), or was
>the whole sorcery concept "Gregged in" for RQ3?

Gregged in. There was proposals for a sorcerer to cast divine magic without worshipping gods (and mentions of getting some spells by compelling 'demons' to cough up was made but not detailed). However when RQ# was written up, it had mutated into a new magic system.

Joseph Troxell:

>Ok, I'm glad someone brought up YT being "Humaktish" with the honor bit. I
>have a real problem with this. To me, a YT talking about honor (in
>particular Loyalty) is like having your accountant say, "sure, I was
>convicted of tax fraud, but trust me..." The premise of the cult is that
>their god, Yanafir Tarnils, went against Humakt. Turned his back, left the
>cult, and ended up fighting Humakt eventually. That doesn't sound like
>someone I'd trust that much!

Well, the Orlanthi seem to trust Orlanth fine even though he turned against Yelm, his rightful lord. Humakt OTOH was an evil henchgod of an Unjust Cosmos. He kept his worshippers in thralldom with base oaths of servitude. He told them the Lie that He was the True Death and that there is No Other. As this Lie waxed and multiplied, the misery of the world grew.

Yanafal discovered that Humakt was not who He said He was. Furthermore he discovered that there were Higher Truths that one should owe loyalty to and not some lesser death god. By mastering these Truths, Yanafal transcended the limitations of the cosmos and defeated Humakt, a deed which is normally impossible.