Soggy Hsunchen again

From: TTrotsky_at_aol.com
Date: Tue, 29 Apr 1997 12:37:31 -0400 (EDT)

Brilliant Mistake <idyoung_at_seanet.com> takes me to task over Orlanthi windmills. Point taken, but I still think that the 16th century is taking things a bit far, except for the Mostali of course (and they'd use underground watermills anyway). All IMO, natch.

On to the more interesting stuff.
Carl Fink mentions the 'silkies' (selkies, I thought, but I'm probably wrong) as another RW parallel of seal-Hsunchen. Don't see these much as a model for Hsunchen myself, but I'm willing to be convinced.

     The idea about all-male dolphin-Hsunchen sounds intriguing, but IMO suffers from having to make them too non-human. Reminds me a bit of the Zabdamar, though, with the beautiful women and 'ugly' males. Also, if they spend so much time at sea, what relevance will the Transform spells have? They'd also have a problem making many tools, although come to think of it, they may not want very many....

      David Cake, replying to Telmori's comments on the Telmori, says that Wild-day werewolves aren't mindlessly violent, and think more 'wolfy'. I agree with this entirely. Even though they are cursed by chaos, I see no reason to suppose that the nature of the Telmori's transformation has changed all that much, at least as a subjective experience (unless somebody can prove me wrong). I thought it was just the ability to control the change that was altered. And, since Telmori presumably act like wolves when in wolf-form, and wolves aren't rampaging killing-machines unless they're very hungry, I doubt they'd suddenly start acting like that.

All hail the Reaching Moon

     Trotsky