Yanafali Honour

From: Nick Brooke <Nick_Brooke_at_compuserve.com>
Date: Tue, 29 Apr 1997 17:22:28 -0400

Joseph writes:

> I'm glad someone brought up YT being "Humaktish" with the honor bit.
> I have a real problem with this... The premise of the cult is that
> their god, Yanafir Tarnils, went against Humakt. Turned his back,
> left the cult, and ended up fighting Humakt eventually. That doesn't
> sound like someone I'd trust that much!

OTOH, what if you said that YanaFAL Tarnils took Humakti virtues forward? Leaving behind the archaic structures of the brutal and decadent Carmanian empire, he formed a new ideal of military honour, following his own straight and true path rather than that which had been besmirched by the corrupt and plunder-hungry warmongers of the Shah's entourage.

As with all things Gloranthan, it depends on your subjective POV. But you can't easily envisage an army, or a duelling confraternity, or a warrior brotherhood, which *doesn't* have honour at its core, surely?

> I don't see why people would think any YT is loyal and honorable.

Are Lunars "un-people", then?

Ever hear of a Revolution in the American Colonies, a coupla centuries back? Some bunch of wealthy landowners forswearing their allegiance to their rightful King? Why would anyone ever trust them again, even if they did write out some corny list of their hopes and promises and call it a Constitution? How could anyone mistake a gang of conspirators, traitors and rebels against God-given Authority for statesmen and political thinkers? Again, it depends on your POV -- and on the point you're trying to make.

Nick

End of Glorantha Digest V4 #372