All hail the Reaching Storm

From: David Cake <davidc_at_cyllene.uwa.edu.au>
Date: Wed, 30 Apr 1997 11:42:42 +0800

Excerpt from 'What the Scimitar said'

Young Warrior: Sir, a barbarian follower of Humakt accused me of following a god without honour, saying that as our Lord Yanafals (blessed be his name) fought with Humakt, who had been his lord, that he was a turncoat. I killed him, of course, but his words sometimes trouble me.

Scimitar: To these barbarians, honour consists in never changing, in infexibility, in never allowing oneself to be drawn into the world and standing aloof from it. How can that be honour? It is true that Yanafals once walked the path of Humakt. But honour does not consist in serving evil, it consists in taking arms and fighting against it. Yanafals fought for the liberation that the goddess brings to everyone, he fought for life, he fought to free this glorious Empire from brutal usurpers. This is honour, not standing by those who do evil.

>In KoS on page 157 we read the sentence "...Argrath began building the
>Temple of the Reaching Storm to protect all of Saird from ravages of
>nomads from the north and east." My question is : what is the magical
>effect of this temple that it can protect from nomads ?

        I speculate that the Temple of the Reaching Storm is a Storm Temple that centers around the same goddess as the Temples of the Reaching Moon do - Yara Aranis. Argrath subverts the Yara Aranis cult, rather than destroying it - after all, the mother of YA is not naturally part of the Lunar pantheon. So his temples of the reaching storm worship a Yara Aranis who has rejected serving her Lunar father, but still hates nomads. Apart from the name, it also fits in with Argrath being able to set Yara Aranis (referred to as the 'six-armed goddess of Saird', which fits in with the temples location) on to Sheng near the end of Argraths saga.

        Cheers

                David