Ginna Jar

From: Lowell A Francis <lfrancis_at_iusb.edu>
Date: Wed, 30 Apr 1997 00:58:52 -0500 (EST)

>(Summary) There were some questions about the Lightbringers and then some
>of info. Then David Cake made an insightful comment that she "represents
>collective action."

This idea of collective action hits straight at the heart of what we have worked through with Ginna Jar in our campaigns. Cults of Prax gives only minor hints at the nature of this figure, but given the importance of the Lightbringers Quest both mythically and symbolically, I felt it was important to define her role more clearly.

In our campaign, Ginna Jar is an alternate path for females. There are plenty of Warriors (Vinga, Bab Gor), Healer (C.A) and Earth Mother (Ern.) figures. Ginna Jar seemed to represent the mysteries of womanhood. The idea that there is power in being female and in those aspects; that these are not necessarily fighting or healing as roles in society.

Its a concept that is better played out than explained. Ginna Jar, for players in our game is the force of female intuition and mystery. She is a special kind of wisdom and view-point which male gods lack. Even some of the Goddesses, trapped in their determined roles lose some of this aspect. Ginna Jar serves to protect the idea of female, cthonic power. It is not the power of sex or childbirth, but the idea of female building and insight. David Cake's comment about her representing the force of "Collective action" hints at this. It is a creative force, a force of joining.

I've never defined the specific of the cult for my campaign because it works well as a mysterious cult. It provides other options for support for Female PC's for one thing. It also gives balance to the ideas of femininity in our campaign.