Windmills at Old Wind Temple

From: David Weihe <weihe_at_danet.com>
Date: Wed, 30 Apr 97 10:36:09 EDT

> Brilliant Mistake <idyoung_at_seanet.com> takes me to task over Orlanthi
> windmills. Point taken, but I still think that the 16th century is taking
> things a bit far, except for the Mostali of course (and they'd use
> underground watermills anyway). All IMO, natch.

I am sorry to disappoint you gentlemen, but the windwill is rather older than the 1500s. It was brought to Europe from the Holy Land after the First Crussade. The 16th century brought an innovation in sail design that increased the lift (thus power) of the sails, especially at lower speeds, and an improved auto-steering system. Before that, most windmills were turbine-styled, instead of pinwheel styled like the classic Dutch windmill. They were also less useful, due to lower power and torque.

I expect that the windwills at the Old Wind Temple are in the older eggbeater-style, and there to power only a few effects and perhaps the Gustbran forge bellows. The main purpose will be to act as a constant prayer to/in praise of the Wind God, much like a Buddhist prayer wheel in the RW.