Yelmalian Honor

From: Andrew Joelson <joelsona_at_cpdmfg.cig.mot.com>
Date: Wed, 30 Apr 1997 12:23:25 -0500

I've never played such a situation, but here's what I think anyway...

> Follow-on question: if a Light Son orders his hundred troops to help an
> Orlanthi village, and one of them has this geas, how does he reconcile the
> military need to obey orders with the divine prohibition? Would you expect
> him to go immediately to the commander and say why he can't help?

        That's what I would do (as the player). Military matters are temporal, IMO. A geas is a devine obligation, and takes presedence.

> And what would the commander's reaction most likely be? (Especially if
> in a stressful situatuon)?

        It depends;
a) in a flexible mood, I would have the commander give the templar a suport   task, where he would be helping and supporting his brother templars, and   didn't have to deal with the Orlanthi directly. Like take this guy as a   personal bodyguard (temporarily). Then all the guy has to do is follow   the captain around, keep his eyes open & his mouth shut. b) in a grinding mood, or if the campaign needed to have the tension turned   up, the captian could put the templar into a definate paradox situation   right away. This would bring out the 'hard choices' part of MGF right   away. Please note that MGF for players can be pretty rough on characters.

        A stressfull situation would lean more towards b, I think. It could also lead to, "soldier, shut up and soldier!" That put's the problem off, but not for long.....

        Of course, the templar could always obey his captain, then go in for ritual attonement/cleansing later...

                Andrew

Drink Kalikos-Koolers!