whales

From: Carlson, Pam <carlsonp_at_wdni.com>
Date: Thu, 1 May 1997 09:37:00 -0700

Trotsky argues:

>And an orca pod consists of a single male and a harem of three to four
females (plus sub-adults of both sexes), which is hardly matriarchal either.

On which planet? Sorry Trotsky - you have old info.

Here in the orca research capital of the world, (the Pacific NW/ British Columbia), 30 years of observation and genetic study show that orca pods are led my an older female. Pod members consist of her daughters and sons, and her daughter's calves. The males in the pod are her sons, and they do not mate with females in their own pod. Males will temporarily hang out with other pods to mate, then return to their mother's pod.

Come to Glorantha Con V this summer in Victoria BC, and stop by the Whale Museum in Friday Harbor, WA, or the Vancouver Aquarium in Vancouver, BC. Both have excellent exhibits on orca biology.

Similar patterns have been found in horses. Herds are led, not by stallions, but by an older mare who is related to most of the other mares. The stallions just follow the mares around, spending much of their effort just keeping other stallions away.

Many of our ideas about animal behavior were formed in the late 1800's to mid 1900's. It's interesting how the observer's cultural expectations colored their interpretations. (Stallions were obviously the leaders!) Modern observations strive for more objectivity, and show a more diverse range of social systems.

Kind of like Glorantha, no?

Pam

PS - Still working on the DH calendar info - I haven't forgotten. My life is topsy-turvy now. I'm holding the fort alone at work, my kitchen is full of puppies, my mom has come for a long visit... and it's BASEBALL SEASON!:-)