Reusable Rune Magic

From: Stephen P Martin <ilium_at_juno.com>
Date: Fri, 02 May 1997 00:16:26 EDT

To All:

As usual, I'm way behind. Still, a couple of comments.

On Rune Magic

I have liked the idea of regaining Rune Magic during High Holy Day rituals. As for one-use spells, brought up recently, I have always had the impression that initiates cannot sacrifice for those spells at all. Finally, as for Sever Spirit, technically, yes, by allowing initiates to regain spells once a year, each of them can cast this spell once each year.

However, I dislike this, and think most people would. When dealing with Dave Cheng's RunePower idea, I divide spells into three categories: Common, RunePower, and Special spells. Common spells should not be part of the RunePower pool, IMO, since they are not tied to the god's runes -- they are generic. I also define some spells as Special -- they are also not part of the god's RunePower Pool, and must be sacrificed for individually. Thus, even though Sever Spirit is reusable for Humakt and Resurrection is reusable for Chalana Arroy, these spells are the essence of their natures, and so should not be castable "on a whim". If a Chalana Arroy High Healer is going to Resurrect, I think she should have to specifically set aside part of her soul to do this, aside from anything else. So, when she casts Resurrect, she has to cast a single use of the spell she has sacrificed for, rather than just 3 points of the Pool. Sever Spirit is the same way.

And since Special, non-RunePower spells are not available to initiates, IMG, the problem of the once-a-year Sever Spirit is taken care of. This way, Chalana Arroy initiates cannot Resurrect, which is as it should be - -- you've gotta be more dedicated than that to access the highest secrets. This would apply to most major cults: Sunspear for Yelm, Thunderbolt for Orlanth, maybe Spelltrading for Issaries. It helps to keep the powergamers from having too many opportunities to run rough over the bad guys

Stephen Martin
ilium_at_juno.com

The Book of Drastic Resolutions
drastic_at_juno.com