various stuff

From: Stephen P Martin <ilium_at_juno.com>
Date: Sat, 03 May 1997 19:27:10 EDT

If I ever catch up, I'll start using appropriate Subject Lines. For now, "various stuff" seems quite appropriate to me!

Paul Chapman, Digest #367

>As a closing question - does anyone know anything about Yinkin? For some
>reason I have an overwhelming urge to write children's stories about
>Yinkin the cat, and need whatever material has been unearthed about him
>before I start. I just wish I knew _why_ I want to do this...

All I know (a comment by Greg, a long time ago) was that "the Yinkin story" (who knows which one) ends with something like: "And then Yinkin went home and ate pea soup." Didn't make much sense to me then.

I did write a Yinkin myth once, a horrid little thing which explained why men have beards. I might even post it, if it isn't too embarassing. As if.

David Cake in Digest #367

Aldrya: using the presence of Shargash in Alkoth as a comparison to Aldrya's presence among elves is like comparing Roman Catholicism in Medeival Europe to the presence of the Moonies in modern-day United States. Sure, the Moonies affect those people who are near them, though to most only as a curiosity. But the Catholic Church of the Middle Ages, now that was as integral to daily life as bread and water.

Running Thread on Acolytes

The whole point about Acolytes having to meet the same requirements as priests is because they ARE priests. They just aren't FULL-TIME priests. The godi concept in KoS exemplifies this perfectly. Would you want someone in the heirarchy who could use the full magics of a priest (in most cases), without having to meet all of the requirements? And they have to be there less often! If acolytes could get by with lesser requirements too, it would be a wonder that ANYONE became a full priest!

Another good way to think of acolytes is in the RQ2 Associate Priest status: in RQ3 rules terms, Associate Priests of Lhankor Mhy are acolytes of Lhankor Mhy, and so can get access to the full magics for a minimal time commitment, while still retaining their full-priest status in Orlanth, for example.

David Cake in Digest #368

On Pyjeemsab versus Pymaro III -- I specifically pointed this out to Greg when he was writing King of Sartar, and he specifically did not change it. So, this is intended to be another of the many mysteries of the book. Without going into an analysis of the entire Tarsh kings geneology (which is as much fabrication as truth, IMO), I believe that the king's real name is Pymaro III, and that he was a tribal king, the third named Pymaro. The use of the "III", not an Orlanthi tribal standard, is presumably a northern convnetion used when talking about him.

Pyjeemsab would either have been an additional name he had, or one he took when marrying Hon-Eel, or something similar. I do not believe Marofdul is actually his father.

Other than the rather abrupt ending (a bit too metaphysical for me), I thought the snippet of fiction was very good. Serves Pyjeemsab right, getting his head bitten off for ignoring wise counsel. I also liek the portrayal of Hon-Eel, though I wonder how long she actually stayed in Tarsh -- I can't recall, and don't feel like trying to look it up.

Seal Hsunchen in various Digests

Since "seal hsunchen" are very common in the RW myths (seals turning into men, men into seals), I would find it hard to believe they weren't in Glorantha. I favor the northern shore of the White Sea. First, if a fair number of trolls were part of the worship, trolls eating everyone would be less likely. Also, the seal is a powerful totem in RW northern cultures, and they could have some extremely powerful shamans. Plus, when the trolls come the entire community can simply take to the waters -- even in human form, a seal-hsunchen could outswim a troll, let alone under the influence of the totem. Never underestimate the power of unique magics.

Stephen Martin
ilium_at_juno.com

The Book of Drastic Resolutions
drastic_at_juno.com