Greg, magic, Glorantha and RQ

From: reaper_at_sound.net <reaper_at_echo.sound.net>
Date: Mon, 5 May 1997 23:04:03 -0500 (CDT)

Pete N here.

  I enjoyed Greg's take of magic and Glorantha. Some I agree with, some not, some might lead to better fiction, some better or worse RPG, depends on your defination of MGF. Remember it's opinion. But it's not wild or silly, I like a lot of it.

Personally, I don't take it too far. It's one thing to say who the Gods are, the myths, the history etc... As the creator of Glorantha and it's legal agent Greg controls commercial publications. Since he has chosen to leave it (for a while) RPG-less, people will still play, RQ rules for for now, when another game comes out, things will splinter to RQ and GtheG fans.

   Greg is right. Many RPGs make magic too common, less special. I think it is easier to maintain that "feel" in fiction or your mind. The translation to an RPG is hard. You have to create a world through mechanics. The rules are often inflexible. But Greg has also lost total control. He starting losing the day he shared it with somebody else.

    With fiction. The interaction is low. The author writes oneway to the audience.
Fandoms, friends, other professionals gave feedback. RPGs and the community, they
spawned are more interactive. The author generally works through a intermediary, the GM and we see more feedback. The Internet and gaming community are increasing
the level of interaction.

  Over time, enough people will tie into Net publishing of Gloranthan ideas that Greg
will only be able to control for profit publications. I could name ten people that
are crucial to Gloranthan development as Greg. BTW, I don't want this to be taken
as a dump on Greg piece. At times, I'm awed ar Greg as the Visionary, Author, Businessman and a person able to attract interesting people to him.

  Glorantha and RPGs. RQ fueled a lot of the growth of Glorantha. It helped form Glorantha as much as Glorantha formed it. But RQ only one way to play in Glorantha.
We see the rise of freeforms at Glorantha Cons. In the same issue Stephen posted Greg's article, another listmember said he runs Glorantha in Rolemaster. I've also heard of GURPS, HERO. Pendragon (or Pendragon Pass) may be the roots to the
next RPG. I hope to live to see Glorantha the CD-ROM game (along with a CD-ROM encyclopedia) and later Glorantha VR. I'm surprised there isn't a Gloranthan MUD.    I've seen various levels of magic and totally different playstyles in Glorantha
RQ games. I've not sure I've seen a ressurection in games I played in. But I've seen what would be called liberal DI. The level of magic access to PCs I'd say has
gone from high to medium. I don't curently have a group I play with in KC here but
if I start GMing again I'd change from my last style. Not to make my game more Greg,
but because I like ideas he and many others have proposed. I've changed since picked
up RQ II, Greg has changed. I've seen some friends move on to other games because
they didn't care for the direction of professional development of RQ/Glorantha. I've had mixed feelings over time my self. Nothing stops any of us from going their
own path.

            Pete

End of Glorantha Digest V4 #386