location finding - no compasses

From: Owen Jones <oj_at_maths.anu.edu.au>
Date: Thu, 8 May 1997 13:38:12 +1000 (EST)

In RW lattitude was traditionally determined from the stars. Given the odd behaviour of Gloranthan stars, much might be possible without resorting to compasses. I recall there being a discussion on the stars last year, can anyone recall if we have a pole star? Do we have other stars in fixed positions? All it would take is three fixed stars and you're home and hosed, though presumably this would require the stars being close enough that your bearings on them altered noticably as you moved about the lozenge.

Owen Jones
Centre for Maths and its Applications, School of Math. Sciences Australian National University, ACT 0200 Ph +61 6 249 2897 (office) 249 4552 (direct) Fax +61 6 249 4675 Web page http://wwwmaths.anu.edu.au/~oj/