Re: Pentan deities; Lore; Writing

From: David Dunham <dunham_at_pensee.com>
Date: Thu, 8 May 1997 18:34:59 -0700

As for whether the Pentans worship Orlanth and Yelm, while the God Learners did have it right, I think even they would have admitted (if they visited Pent) that the West King Wind mask and the Kargzant mask aren't the same masks worshipped in Dragon Pass and Dara Happa. Is suspect the magic available from the different masks is different. Probably the God Learners would try to combine and simplify the different masks, and gain all the powers that could be gained from the core Orlanth and Yelm.

Michael Cule wondered

> What is the difference between Glorantha Lore and World Lore?

Apart from the difficulty of finding the definition of the former, World Lore is a vaguely scientific skill (including not only meteorology but bridge design), while Glorantha Lore is the accumulation of knowledge.

Thomas Gottschall wrote

> Writing is far less developed (if at all) in shamanistic societies

I believe Genghis Khan's Mongols were considered shamanistic, yet he had an alphabet developed to write Mongolian.

I suspect shamans do practice some sort of archival storage, even if not writing -- drawing pictures of spirits they know, for example.