Trent's Questions

From: Stephen P Martin <ilium_at_juno.com>
Date: Fri, 09 May 1997 02:39:48 EDT

To All:

Once again, Trent makes us all explain what we have come to take for granted. And, in the process, we all learn something new.

>1. Can a God manifest physically in the Material World? According to
the
>Great Compromise, they can't, except as abstract phenomena, but in River
>of Cradles, Waha is mentioned as walking around as a physical being.

Although no sane outlander would deny that Waha has walked in Prax in the past, and will do so again, I am of the opinion that most of the historical appearances of Waha have actually been Khans imbued with his power. In other words, he has been Incarnated among the greatest khans of the era.

>Also, there's the Red Goddess and Nysalor, who obviously walked around
>physically. The only other example I can think of is YT fighting
Humakt,
>which might have been a HeroQuest, but then again, maybe not.

Since they were either born, created, re-born, or re-created within Time, the Compromise didn't quite apply to them. Of course, it got Nysalor in the end, and might get the Red Goddess, too, so don't count on it. Also, the Dara Happans don't believe in the Compromise, so why should it be binding on the two deities they have been so instrumental in bringing into the world?

3. Some HeroQuests are described as being on the Material plane. Does this mean that the events, situations, and enemies of the Quest just appear out of thin air, or does the Quester have to set this up himself (like in a High Holy Day ritual)? Could somebody not "in" the Quest interfere with it?

These so-called Practice Runs are not set up. Rather, as hinted at in Elder Secrets (the Elf Defense cameo), the magical nature of Glorantha and of shared myths will bring your foes to you. For example, in Waha's Quest, published way back in Different Worlds 4, Greg stated that the quest had to take place in a location which allowed for the presence of the proper foes. As long as there was a _chance_ the right foes would show up, the magic would make sure they did.

Usually, such foes are themselves HeroQuestors, who are hoping that the proper foes (i.e., the Waha questor in this case) will be drawn to them. For every myth of victory a deity in Glorantha has, someone has a myth told from the point of view of the "defeated" foe (who may not recognize that what happened was a defeat).

4. Does a Quest have to be based in a myth, or can it be wholly original?
(like if you go questing on the HeroPlane, which still seems to be somewhat within Mundame Space and Time)

Therein lies the path to God Learnerism.

Stephen Martin
ilium_at_juno.com

The Book of Drastic Resolutions
drastic_at_juno.com