Compass navigation

From: Benedict Adamson <ben_at_cd.co.uk>
Date: Fri, 9 May 1997 13:40:48 +0100

One of my leisure activities is hill walking, for which navigation can be important. I've never used a compass to triangulate my position, to produce a `cocked hat'---think how difficult doing so is without a map table.

My most common uses for a compass is to determining which direction to walk in,
after determining where I am on the map and where I want to get to. In the RW the north (magnetic) pole is usually very distant, so the bearing of a straight path (course) is (almost) the same at all points on the path. But consider the bearing of a straight course from Corflu to the Block measured with a Pavis-pointing compass: it increases from about 45 degress to about 120 degree (sorry, don't have a map handy to check). Using the Pavis-pointing compass to follow the course would be difficult and error prone.
City-pointing compoasses might be almost useless except for setting a course directly to the city (which I guess is their porpose) or when very far from the city (which I doubt would happen).

In any case, trying to hold a course while walking on rough terrain is difficult, so you tend to choose a succession of close points or don't bother---
that is, follow a linear terrain feature (path, ridge, stream) or aim for obvious landmarks instead.

So if your powergamers expect their Locate Self skilll to give them GPS accuracy, laugh evilly at them. Following a compass bearing on boggy Dartmoor (where keeping on course was difficult because of the need to skirt pools of water) I once deviated half a mile east while moving about one and a half miles north! (I think my navigation has improved since then :-)