Compasses - I goofed!

From: Ed Tonry <etonry_at_gte.net>
Date: Fri, 09 May 1997 23:14:24 -0400

I thought I was right to say you only needed two compasses. Then I started thinking about someone else's comment about circles. That's when it hit me. The angle is correct, but it can pivot, making the circle.

So, my current opinion (always subject to change, natch) is that you need two compasses, and a reference point. Without a North Pole, I would suggest the point of sunrise (or sunset). If you like the idea of the sun's course shifting with the seasons, add a table for seasonal adjustments, or marks on the edge of the map.

Incidentally, I am assuming a map covering a _large_ chunk of Glorantha, useful for going from Pavis to Seshnela, or at least the western Holy Country. Smaller maps surely exist, but you can always stumble around until you find a landmark. On a LARGE map, there isn't enough detail to indicate landmarks.

Ed Tonry