Old wounds, more Humakt

From: Joseph Troxell <jmt107_at_psu.edu>
Date: Wed, 14 May 1997 00:33:11 -0400

Sometimes I hate trailing on the Digests. If anyone has carried the infamous compass debate off line, let me know. I have some stuff to add (or maybe not).

While talking to Rich Ohlsen tonight, he brought up a wonderful point. If Glorantha is flat, or shaped something like a bowl, there is no horizon to interfer with line of sight. Therefore, the only thing preventing you from seeing the world's highest mountain from anywhere would be: a) a tall object in the way (which could be avoided by climbing a nearby high object), b) weather (like fog), or c) limits of human (or non-human) eyesight (which could be fixed with enough Farsee). So trying to find your location with a compass (or two or three or twelve) may be unnessecary.

Rich Ohlsen and I have worked up several things for his (rather Humakti-centric) campaign (including a Hero Cult, a few temples, and Swordspeak which I just posted). If anyone is interested in using this, please write me for some copies of preliminary work.

Now, back to my favorite diety. And Merlin and Bertie, whoever and wherever you are, maybe you shouldn't read this:

Paul Chapman comments:
>Big Humakti Secret IMG (Merlin/Bertie _don't_ read this!) - Humakt knows
>Death isn't really final, Death merely leads to change and in essence
>growth...

I don't consider that the Big Secret. I see it as central to the understanding of Humakt. At least from a Humakti's point of view. But, I think you're right on track.

>So if Humakt knows this, why doe he not allow
>for resurrection, why is he such a fanatic for final death? Because he
>_understands_ he is part of the balance (with life - Uleria or her kin?),

Humakt is seen by some as the God of Endings. I think you're right that Death is just part of the balance and Humakt understands that, I think your answer falls a bit short. Yes, without Death, Life wouldn't change. It would grow stagnant. There would be no danger, no excitement. I don't think Humakt does not allow resurrection because he sees it as part of the life cycle. TotRM #5 comments,:

"A cult member may not be returned from the dead in any way. He is considered to have been called by Humakt, and it would be sacrilegious to try to reverse the situation."

My chraracter looks at the situation in the following manner:

"No, we [Humakti] cannot be resurrected. Many see it as a weakness of the cult, but in fact, it is Humakt's greatest strength. For Humakt protects the souls of his fallen. None can capture your soul and return it as an undead. None may return it to a decayed and twisted remain of your body. When I die, my soul goes to Hell and joins Humakt's legion. There we wait for Humakt to call us for one last war. That does not mean that our life in this world is insignificant. On the contrary, how we live this life and how well we serve Humakt in this world determines where we serve in the legion. Personally, I want to lead a rank, not be at the end!" - -Krit Greywald