Parallax, latitude, etc.

From: Alex Ferguson <abf_at_interzone.ucc.ie>
Date: Wed, 14 May 1997 22:27:08 +0100 (BST)

Rule-4 flouting "TTrotsky" says:
> The fact that the merman's location has to be defined implies that the
> stars do show parallax (or that the world is spherical, which it obviously
> isn't).

To be more precise, it at least could be taken as implying that _some_ celestial object varies in apparent position by location, not necessarily the stars. And I wouldn't be astonished to discover that there was "latitudinal" variation in the position of the stars, either. After all, if you can have a horizon on a non-spherical world, truly all things are possible.

Alex.