SociologyQuest

From: Jeff Richard <jrichard_at_cnw.com>
Date: Sat, 17 May 1997 12:37:19 -0700

A few comments.

Trotsky, that enigmatic man of mystery, wrote:

> First off, I have to say I incline towards the 'subjectivists' side
of
>this debate. But more important to me is the fact that it doesn't really
>matter. It isn't possible for Gloranthans (and hence PCs) to determine the
>answer to questions such as 'are Yelm and Kargzant the same being?' And if
it
>isn't possible to answer a question then it's irrelevant, except perhaps
>philosophers.

Hurrah and Huzzah! Ultimately this entire discussion is moot because we as writers are debating issues that no Gloranthan could answer! I like this man of mystery. Please "Trotsky" don't send out your biography for it would ruin the mystery - it would be like discovering for certain that the charming Aglie is not the immortal Comte de Saint-Germain, but simply a very successful brush salesman from Turin.

On the other hand, our man from Arkham wrote:
> Still, folk should use whatever Glorantha suits them. If folk want to
play SociologyQuest, fine. :)

I guess we Seattle Farmers do play SociologyQuest - but I want to emphasize that we most certainly do game in Glorantha. Indeed, we manage to get off a session nearly every week. In Taming of Dragon Pass, the player-characters have experienced fifteen years of game-time, changing from being the sons and daughters of carls to the lead thanes of the clan.  They've been on pilgramages to Kero Fin and the Stormwalk Mountains, they have tried to follow in the paths of their gods, they have fought in battles and raids against their foes and they tried to view Glorantha as Gloranthans. Maybe it is SociologyQuest (or SassanidQuest as Nick Brooke used to say), but it is smashing good fun.

The point is that you don't need to have determined the God Learners' secret (if indeed it is even relevant anymore) in order to have a good time in Glorantha. My personal view towards the Gloranthan mythos is extremely subjective - yet my players tend to be very absolutist about the relevance of their characters subjective myths. Imagine that.

BTW, Martin - great to have the return of Deville! With trepidation for the fate of the peaceful Varmandi, I await the next issue.

Jeff