Number of Clans in Sartar

From: David Cheng <dcheng_at_amnh.org>
Date: Sat, 17 May 1997 15:56:12 -0500

Joseph Troxell asks about the number of clans per tribe.

I don't know if this will be much help, but I remember glimpsing a very old Stafford map, many many years ago, that was drawn on top of an old WB&RM map. The tribal boundries were outlined over the hex grid.

There was some kind of note (or was this discussed verbally?) that each hex could support one average-strengh clan. Bigger tribes had more hexes, and thus more clans. Some areas (hexes) of Sartar cannot support a full clan, due to poor resources.

One suggestion might be to take the Sartar tribal map from _Tales_ (issue #7?) and a _Dragon Pass_ map. Use some creative juice to re-create Stafford's old map. Fudge the boundries as you see fit, and as your campaign requires plot motivations. Then, apply the one-hex = one-clan rule.

I would like to emphasize that the map I saw was very old, and the one-hex/one-clan rule might no longer be valid. Discussion and criticisms are welcome!