Calculated use of Divination.

From: Alex Ferguson <abf_at_interzone.ucc.ie>
Date: Sun, 18 May 1997 01:37:52 +0100 (BST)

Plaudits for eloquent defences of "subjectivity" from Pam Carlson and Martin Laurie, and particularly to TTrotsky, when he hits a nail I've been attempting to pound away at, right on the head:

> But more important to me is the fact that it doesn't really matter.

Absolutely. Unless of course one not only believes that there exists an Objective Invisible World, but insists on ones own particular stance as to what it is, and then either decides that all Gloranthans believing different are Wrong, or what's worse, that Chaosium must immediately retract everything they've ever published that ever implies they might so believe (which is where this whole debate started off, sadly).

> 2) Nobody's thought to ask. Or one or other group hasn't done so. Somebody
> (sorry, I forget who) proposed this as an explanation, on the grounds its
> like taking a calculator into a maths exam.

That was me, but that wasn't my point at all. I wasn't making a Glorantha-level argument that if Divination worked that way, it wouldn't be used as such. Obviously it would, though in the case where it was brought up, going to a Sun Dome Temple and asking the god in residence was Elmal would be be asking for a Sunspear up the jacksie, rather than a neat yes/no answer. Gloranthan theologians don't use it for such not so much as because they don't get what some would call "useful" answers

What I was rather whimsically expressing was that a world where theological questions were "objectively" answerable in this way would be as interesting and meaningful a situation as where one's ability to do mental arithmetic is measured by key-pressing ability. To wit, a shockingly game-level (or world design level) argument.

Shamelessly,
Alex.