re: Sub/Objectivity...

From: Daniel McCluskey (Volt) <"Daniel>
Date: Sun, 18 May 1997 18:19:57 -0700

I just have to throw in a couple of (short) points to this (already overlong) argument.

In the RW, If five people see the very same undeniably real event (say, a traffic accident) and are asked to describe it a week later. Their descriptions will nearly always contradict each other in one or more major aspects. Does that mean that the accident wasn't "real"? Of Course the MYTHS of all things contain contradictions.

also, in the RW, it is (objectively) PROVEN that "The Truth" is unknowable. (Heisenberg uncertainty principle) You can know a lot, but ultimately you have to resort to probability. How is it then that a Knowable "Truth" is required to make a Fantasy World "realistic" ???

As a gamemaster, you ultimately decide what the truth is in your glorantha. However, you will always be faced with viewpoints and "truths" that contradict your own. If the world were shallow enough to allow for only one truth, I for one wouldn't care enough about it to waste my time reading this list. If you require a monomyth, make it... your Glorantha WILL vary. But that's a GOOD thing.

danm