RW versus Glorantha

From: Stephen P Martin <ilium_at_juno.com>
Date: Mon, 19 May 1997 02:29:14 EDT

TTrotsky on the Stars

>Steve Martin disagrees with my comment that the Gloranthan stars have
>measurable parallax, on the grounds that RW ancient astronomers couldn't
>measure the parallax of RW stars. I fail to see the relevance since
Glorantha
>isn't the RW.

When the Whirlpool issue was being discussed, I did not read the thread in time to comment, but TTrotsky has given me a perfect opportunity. From the very beginning, Glorantha has been constructed as a world where all the magical and "misguided" beliefs of our ancestors were true. The whole lozenge is a model of pre-Modern earth -- magic works the way our ancestors believed it worked. The Whirlpool moves in a clockwise direction because that is the direction Coriolis forces move it -- if Greg Stafford had been raised in the southern hemisphere, I daresay Magasta's Pool would have turned counter-clockwise.

Since the ancients of the RW measured no parallax in the stars, our ancient world-modelled Glorantha should also have parallax-less stars. Yes, things have changed in Glorantha since the "good old days". But the fundamental physics of the world remain the same.

That's how I see it, anyways.

 rhwolfe_at_ix.netcom.com
Praxians and Lunars

Bravo for your defense of Lunar-hating Praxians. All of the published material to date that I remember has talked about how most Praxians view the Lunars as chaos. You give us a number of other, more important, reasons for this hate.

Stephen Martin
ilium_at_juno.com

The Book of Drastic Resolutions
drastic_at_juno.com