Re: Red Moon over Prax

From: Frank Rafaelsen <rafael_at_nvg.ntnu.no>
Date: Thu, 22 May 1997 18:36:43 +0200 (MET DST)

> From: tickler_at_netcom.com (Brian Tickler)
> Date: Wed, 21 May 1997 12:10:10 -0700 (PDT)
> Subject: Red Moon over Prax
>
> ..........the Lunars are merely an
> annoyance and as much as the Praxians hate them, it is not enough to
> "unite the tribes", who have more significant problems dealing with each
> other on a day-to-day basis than the Lunars.

I agree with this. The Lunar presence in Prax hasn't changed the nomads' lifestyle very much. They fact that they took controll of a couple of cities is not going to bother the praxians. They hate and scorn city dwellers,and the fact that there are other city dwellers controlling the Zola Fel valley today does not interest the nomads. But what does bother the nomads is that the presence of the lunars has uppset the balance of power between the tribes. The dominance of the Sable tribe is a much greater threat in the eyes of a nomad than any city dweller can ever be. And this is why the nomads eventually do kick the lunars out.

Apart from this I think Joe nomad has about the same relationship with city dwellers as Ank-Morkporks'(sp?) thieves got with their "customers": "Treat them to harshly and you'll raid them once, treat them better and you can raid them every year."

But I agree that it was a touch of brilliance for the lunars not to bring along any horses. This would have given the Praxians a very real reason to hate them. But it was a tactical blunder to side to much with Sable riders.