Re: Vlad the Impaler meets Prax

From: Frank Rafaelsen <rafael_at_nvg.ntnu.no>
Date: Fri, 23 May 1997 01:56:27 +0200 (MET DST)

> From: James Frusetta <gerakkag_at_wam.umd.edu>
>
> > There are crucial differences and I would agree to your example if the
> > lunar forces did have total controll in Prax and the Wastes.
> Hmm. Instead of the Soviet Invasion of Ireland, I present a new example:
> the medieval Ottomans' subjugation of the Balkans. No total control
> involved there (until the 16th century or so, and that's debatable).
>
> Every historian I talked to in the Balkans lamented that the various
> rulers didn't unite against the Turks and throw them out of Europe. Oddly
> enough, every ruler saw the invasion as a glorious chance to either:
> A) Do their enemies a dirty one;
> B) Suck up for their own benefit; or
> C) Suck up to a different European great power for their own benefit.

                (snip)

> So too with the nomads. You have the nomad khans that are too
> short-sighted to see the long-term menace of the hideous Lunars; the khans
> who'd rather revenge Great-Grampa Iggy the Impala Rider's horrible death
> at the hand of the Bison Riders rather than unite against the lunars;
> etc., etc......

I have to admit I know very little of Balkan history, but I do think you misunderstand my position (no wonder since my original post was quite confusing). I don't think the Praxians see the lunars as their main problem. I think the dominance of the Sable nation is the big concern for the other nations. What is really their problem? Well they are prevented from grazing their animals in the relativly fertile Prax. Who is preventing them? I don't see the lunars being able to stop the bison nation from crossing the Zola Fel, and I don't see the lunar footmen being able to pose any treat to the nomadic tribes. I would pity the phalanx that tried going after the nomads into the nomads territory. No, the problem is the sable nation. The only real problem the lunars cause for the praxians is that it is harder to raid settlements. And I agree that this is far from enough to make the Khans join causes. But if it is the lunars that are making the Sables so damn powerfull it might just be worth tossing them out to foil the sables' plans

> > I wouldn't be very surprised if there is a growing appreciation of "big
> > politics" among the nomads.
> A perception, an appreciation, but not an understanding. More likely that
> the nomads will bitch and moan about all these foreign empires that invade
> them, fail to prevent others from invading them, and who stop them from
> raiding. Blame 'em for everything.

The fact that there are several large competing nations and a lot of smalle nations suggest to me that there is a very well established balance of power system in the region. The smaller tribes would act as a dynamic buffer that enables the nations to react to any big push, and give them time to organize a overwhelming defensive force. And thus limit the success of the expanding tribe. I frankly don't see how the smaller nations could have survived this long without a system like this..

> > And once they have cut the sable riders down to size, by tossing
> > the lunars out, they'll fall back to the old internal bickering
> Plenty of historical examples, though, that many people will use invasion
> to their own benefit; or at least deal with the invader to secure better
> terms......

This all depends on how invaded the nomads really feel by the lunars. Are the lunars even able to enforce anything on the nomads. Not a lot I think.