Same god?

From: Hasni Mubarak <richo_at_epix.net>
Date: Fri, 23 May 1997 09:58:46 -0400

Ok, in a Holisitic, I run the universe sense, it doesn't really matter if Greg thinks that Elmal and Yelmalio (Or Orlanth and West King Wind, or Humakt and Hueymakt, etc) are the same god. If I want them to be, then they are. If I don't want them to be, then they aren't. If I want to be as ambiguous as Greg, so that when he finally puts out a module that climaxs with, "And during their initiation into the fourth circle of the Sun, the players realize a terrible secret, Not only isn't Elmal a different god from Yelmalio, he is actually Wakboth, reborn to destory the world...", and I don't have to go and rewrite my whole campaign.

On a more practical note, I DO wonder how NPC's in Glorantha might react to each other. We've allready determined that Y.T. and Humakt are enemies. (Very similar ones too.) How about Elmal and Yelmalio? They must know about each other. Do their worshipers sit in tiny little taverns drinking Oozo and pointing out how the others' god is just a myth? Do they visit each others temples and share rituals? Or do they stage raids on each others compounds to "punish the infidels?" These are the kinds of things that we would like to know, even if it's just to add color to the backround of our campaign.

Nobody has even asked, "Say a Yelmalian and an Elamali meet on the heroplane. Then they ritually run into the sun. Who is it?" Frankly, my campaign is only about two years old and I don't have one Runelevel in it yet, so its pretty much a moot point for me. But I'm sure that other people have run into similar situations.

I understand the feeling of, "Does it really matter?" when these questions are asked. But in addition to the question of the Divine Magic, which I would treat on a case by case basis and fudge the heck out of, there are many other situations where it might be important.

Thanks to Pam who pointed out that Elmal lost fire at Hill of Gold. That changes me to "They are basically the same god, however their hierarchies and worship are culturally different." It also means that their is a typo whereever it says, "Elmal has the fire rune and fire spells." (Unless, there is a secret Elmali Herocult that has fire. Maybe a gigantic Salamander or something. It just SEEMS to outsiders that Elmal has fire, when really all the Elmali are Yelmalians who belong to a special hero cult also....or severel hero cults, one for each fire spell...)

Well, fudge away!

Rich