Fire-free Elmal

From: Alex Ferguson <abf_at_interzone.ucc.ie>
Date: Fri, 23 May 1997 20:33:18 +0100 (BST)

V. S. Klyfix:
> ?Huh? I suddenly wonder what the cult of Elmal looks like. The only
> treatment I've seen was in the aborted _Adventures in Glorantha_ and he
> looked like Yelmalio with fire powers. It _could_ matter in future games.

I think magically, he's substantially similar to Yelmalio. The most marked "spell" type differences are the Associates, I think. The reason I think it's a safe bet that he has no substantial fire powers is not so much the HoG thing as the above factoid, which we also have by Word of Greg, and the phenomenon from KoS of the Yelmalio heresy being partly driven by Elmali wanting to be as magically funky as the Lowlanders. (Sunspear is mentioned fairly specifically.) Not conclusive of much, but I suspect indicative.

Furthermore, Elmal is the _Winter_ Sun, after all. The referenced Gregism "Elmal lost his fire powers to ZZ at the Hill of Gold", btw, is one of these statements of which I can't help but wonder in what Greg "mode" it was made... (And by implication, what other statements on the subject he might made in other modes.)

Sunnily,
Alex.