LBQ, Elmal and stuff

From: Jeff.Richard_at_metrokc.gov
Date: Fri, 23 May 1997 12:04:25 -0700

Howdy,

This post may be from the False Jeff since I'm writing from my metro.kc address - my system-administrator assures me that we won't have those nasty MIME messages attached to this, but we'll see.

In what I presume was a pique of sarcasm, Carl Fink responded to Andrew Joelson's comment about Issaries and Genert, by stating:
>Come on, Andrew. Received wisdom on the Digest is that Issaries
>didn't even *exist* until the God Learners created him (and wrote the
>Lightbringers Journey) in the Second Age.

I realize that this is sarcasm on the part of Carl, but I wanted to respond anyways. Never have I or, as far as I know, any of the other backers of the cults of Orlanth theory, even suggested that the God Learners wrote the Lightbringers Journey. What has been claimed is this: the LBQ as understood by the Orlanthi in the Second and Third Ages was the product of Harmast Barefoot's heroquest based on Orlanth's Bringing of the Dawn.

I for one think that the LBQ post-Harmast has different associations than the pre-Harmast one. In part because Harmast's LBQ did not strictly follow Orlanth's path - Harmast had to "make up" parts of the LBQ heroquest, just as Garundyer had to "make up" parts of his heroquest (right Nick?). Let's keep the God Learners out of this one, OK.

As for Elmal, Sun God extraordinaire, I can't say enough great things about that smashing diety. With Elmal around, Quivini clansmen can look up at the sky and be comforted by the presence of Orlanth's trusty thane. Without Elmal, the poor tribesmen look up and see nothing but foreigners.

Finally, in ToDP it seems the Quivini of the mid-1300s are going to encounter the pre-Sheng Lunar Empire as auxillaries of the King of Tarsh. For those of you who are interested about how the early Quivini reacted to the Lunars, I'd keep an eye on Korol's Saga.

Jeff

PS. Congratulations Nick!