Up in flames....

From: Paul Chapman <mercutio_at_btinternet.com>
Date: Sat, 24 May 1997 01:44:52 +0100

Martin Laurie responding to Michael Raatorova's comments on Stephen Martin's thoughts:-
>Michael Raatorova comments:
>> Go eat a grenade, Stephen.
>
>And again as bit later:
>> Have another grenade.
>
>I must say, I don't like this kind of post.
<snip humourous grenade comments>

Actually, I find this level of aggression on the digest to be genuinely offensive.

OK, Michael, you don't agree with Stephen (and my personal feelings on the matter are actually irrelevant, except to say that I'd like to see a lot of the old stuff reprinted) and clearly feel fairly strongly about this, but it _is_ just the man's opinion and I feel your wishes of harm to him just for what he thinks to be way OTT. Kinda like living in <insert favourite dictatorial state here> isn't it?

Nuff said.

Further to Glen Bailey's barn in flames:- Glen - no offense was meant here, truly. I'm sorry to hear that your player's aren't interested in Glorantha, I seem to be getting the impression (perhaps unjustly) from your postings that your players are what I would term "AD&D players" (for the record: I am aware that it is entirely possible to have a good roleplaying experience using AD&D :-) ). That is, more interested in dungeon-style adventures than the sort of near-CoC experience that is Gaumata's Vision. Your idea as to how to handle the resolution of the scenario sounds good to me, I feel your players may have lots of fun in the Dyskund Caverns.

        BTW, my point about a huge expeditionary force _not_ being sent was really from two angles:-

  1. Yes, it is very serious to harbour chaos, but the local rulers are not IMO the type who would sleep well and maintain their religious purity if they thought they would be killing those innocent of the crime. Ergo, I don't see them wiping out the village.
  2. Resources: few military forces are really as well-equipped as they would like to be, I'd expect the minimum-sized force to be sent to deal with the situation, based upon the expected threat (this expectation may be too low...).

Another angle on the situation that will occur when your PCs are the back-up force on the village cleanup, Glen - any chaos nasties still left in the village may take the 'normal' villagers as hostage. Now that I think about it, the mistress is essentially rooted there in the village, and some of the chaotics would stay to help her - thus, almost certainly a hostage situation. MGF could be had if, say, the mistress held the villagers hostage, stopping the main force from attacking, and the PCs were sent in to try to rescue them in a sneak attack (the criticals-based combat system of Rolemaster makes guerrila work effective and satisfying). _I_ would enjoy that as a player anyway... more personal involvement and heroics, and it has a certain Kurosawa feel to it.

I'm running out of clacks,
Paul.