Competition, for resources and for GL status

From: Carl Fink <carlf_at_panix.com>
Date: Wed, 28 May 1997 23:34:30 -0400

Frank Rafaelsen <rafael_at_nvg.ntnu.no>

>I fail to see the distinction. As long as there are limited resources to
>compete about the struggle is going to political.

I can't speak for Sandy, but I believe the point was precisely that they don't compete for the *same* resources. That is, the various tribes either live in different microenvironments, or in different ecological niches. For instance, the Bolo folk and Agimori are hunters rather than pastoralists and don't compete directly with any grazing tribe.

Yes, they act as *predators* on each other, but predators don't in general wipe out their prey. Control their numbers, yes; exterminate, no.

>Portraying the praxians
>as the noble savages that don't compete and that are beyond power politics
>(if that is what you do) . . .

I guarantee that's not what he meant. These people have a spell that turns people non-sentient, okay? Short of Tap INT, I can't think of a crueler thing to do.

Sandy Petersen <sandyp_at_idsoftware.com>

> Alex, Peter, Joerg: God Learners

HEY! If anyone's going to be a God Learner, *I* am going to be a God Learner.

(Great. I guess I'm actually a God Learner wannabe.) - --
Carl Fink carlf_at_panix.com

Remove AGIS from the backbone!