various

From: Carlson, Pam <carlsonp_at_wdni.com>
Date: Thu, 29 May 1997 11:08:00 -0700

Stephen Martin:

>Most of this is Dara Happan propaganda and/or myth -- you can't accept the
_stories_ in The Fortunate Succession as gospel truth,

Gasp! *sputter*! WHAT?

>unless you are Dara Happan.

Oh. Well...ok.

Actually, the FS seems to have been written by Lunar sympathizers, rather than conservative Dara Happans. It is full of Lunar propaganda. Ever notice the way good old Yelmgatha just up and happily died, and all his offspring, too (even his daughters!) - leaving Takenegi undisputably in charge? Yeah, right...

Hasni:
>Does every god and goddess have a unique set of Runes?

IMO, Runes are just a written system, used in Maniria, introduced by the Godlearners, to describe deities. Other cultures do not use runes, or use different symbols to describe their gods. The rune does not rule the god, it merely describes it.

Owen Jones
>A puzzle for the lunar mystics of the digest.

Hurrah! I eagerly await the answer. (I will spend no effort figuring it out. My little brain doesn't work that way. I can, however, stop a dog fight without getting bitten.)

Martin.Dick:

>My point was not to say that Lunars are evil, just that they are as
unscrupulous as a whole as any of the other societies in Glorantha.

Yes, indeedy. Much agreement.

>But the other point I was trying to make is that the Sartar of the 1500s and
1600s is a far different society to the same area in the time of the Taming of
Dragon Pass campaign

I view 1600 Sartar as a mixed bag. Population centers like Boldhome and Jonstown are much more cosmopolitan than the highland areas. So I think you would find many "civilized" ideas in Boldhome and environs, you would find that the further you go into the hills, the less the folk know of or care about Sartar's ideals.

Perhaps other folks have different opinions. Bear in mind that I have never actually played or reffed in 1600's Sartar as a Sartarite. Avar Talespeaker (a Grazer) passed through there on his way to plunder Pavis in 1615, but it is so difficult to find high culture among vendref...

>Pam mentioned the many attacks from the south as a justification for
invading Dragon Pass, but a perusal of King Of Sartar and the Genertela box, seemed to indicate that the last invasion of peloria from the dragon pass
area was the Empire of the Wyrms' Friends which is something like 600 years
ago. Have I missed a major invasion?

The Fortunate Succession should be your source for that one.

Well, no, there haven't been any MAJOR invasions in 600 years, but they were regular as clockwork before that, running long before the dawn. To Pelorian thinking, 600 years is a small span of time. There could be an invasion just around the corner...

I do think there have been a lot of border incursions, probably out of Aggar & Tarsh. Mitchuin was an Tarshite who attcked HD on her own road (in KOS). The digest has also spent some time dwelling on exactly WHY the lunars are in Sartar. I think there were three reasons listed:

  1. They got involved in Tarsh as a buffer state. Once there, the old Tarshite-Sartarite rivalry flared up. The new, Lunarized Tarshite nobility (like Fazzur) managed to convince Glamour of the Great Southern Threat.
  2. Great merchant houses in Carmania and throughout the rest of Peloria wanted access to the Manirian trade routes and seaports.
  3. Old DH conservatives in high places thought maybe they could finally wipe out the source of Rebellious Terminous.

I tend to go with the first two. Maybe other folks can come up with more.

Pam

End of Glorantha Digest V4 #436