Janissaries

From: Claude Manzato <cmanzat_at_sbs.de>
Date: Fri, 30 May 1997 15:10:18 +0200

>The Jannisaries were balkan christians taken from peasant villages at
>an extremely young age (seven) and raised within the Sublime Porte's
>Household as fanatical muslims and divorced from normal life (they were

If I remenber correctly, they were originated from Anatolia (present day Turkia). When they conquered the aera, the Turks ruled that the first male born of each christian family was to be delivered to them. Then they were raised as elite soldier/bodyguard fanatic muslims for the Sultan. I always thoght that it was something that the kingdom of war would do: raid a place, kill the fighters and inproductives, enslave the people and capture the young boys to supply some training camps with recruits and produce the next generation of conquerors.

Well, maybe....

End of Glorantha Digest V4 #438