Formicula

From: Joerg Baumgartner <joe_at_toppoint.de>
Date: Sun, 1 Jun 97 13:13 MET DST

Daniel McCluskey

>Giant ants are portrayed in RQ as having a communal INT based on the
>size of their colony. I am curious whether there are any known Ant
>Empires in glorantha... Huge colonies, of superhuman intelligence, able
>to compete with Human Nations for Land and resources. It seems that
>there ought to be, but I don't think... nah... it couldn't be... the
>"six-legged empire" of Sandy's last post??? thats just a name... isn't
>it?... (insert sinister music here) (YGMV)

I think there are on the Kumanku islands, off the coast of Fonrit. There are lots of other insectoids around there in competition, like several timinit species - myrmidon, the bug things, etc. Another place to look for them would be the troll-free parts Jrustela.

In general, there is an upper limit for a hive size, IMO, just like empires tend to collapse when they overextend their range of control. With hives, the limit lies in the reproductive abilities and the food procurement of the insects.

I doubt that there would be empire-sized ant hives anywhere trolls abound - too much well-seasoned snacks running around to be ignored, and the warrior ants already come with sour dressing, too.