The south as the land of trouble

From: Jeff.Richard_at_metrokc.gov
Date: Fri, 30 May 1997 13:55:29 -0700

Howdy all,

I thought I'd rally to my fellow SFCers (how's that for an newly coined word?) defense. Pam Carlson was commenting on the Dara Happan mythic fear of the south to give the Lunars a better reason for engaging in military activity in Kerofinela than the tripe "Red Goddess hate Orlanth" nonesense. Bully for her.

Since the occupation of Dara Happa by Heortlings at the opening of the Second Age and the domination/occupation of much of Dara Happa by the EWF in the late Second Age, there have been two other major troubles in the south:

First, was the Dragonkill. Boy was that big and bad and it gave the south a VERY bad reputation.

Second, was the rise of the Kingdom of Tarsh following the Falling Hills Battle of 1362. Regardless of whether the Emperor got killed at that battle - following it, the Orlanth king of Tarsh dominated Holay and Balazar. In the late 1300s, king Ovartien even plundered cities in Sylilia. Yarandros, with the aid of Prazian mercenaries, defeated Pentan warriors of Sheng, and raided "far and wide across the empire." It wasn't until the 1450s (while Tarsh was in the throws of civil war) that the Empire finally managed to launch significant counter-reprisals into Tarsh.

For everyone going to the Victoria Glorantha-Con in July, I have (with the aid of David Cake, Pam Carlson, and David Dunham) come up with a number of truly astounding discoveries about the end of the First Age that will be presented during the Storytelling Contest. I hope all the Orlanthi are ready for this. . . (evil snicker). Oh yes, that and several magificient LARPS, including the SFC's own Fall of the House of Malan.

Jeff