democracy, LBs, Sartar, & riddle

From: Carlson, Pam <carlsonp_at_wdni.com>
Date: Mon, 2 Jun 1997 12:10:00 -0700

DEMOCRACY Trotsky:

>My guess is such a [democratic] city would tend to incorporate some
>Orlanthi myths into its particular heresy, since the Orlanthi have
>a tradition for democracy.

 Pelorians also have an ancient tradition of rule by councils. The Genertela book describes Pelorian towns as ruled by councils, and guilds, while villages are run by committes composed of the residents and elders. The Entekosiad goes into the mythology behind these traditions. Note that the Dara Happans are a specialized group of patriarchal Pelorians, not the norm.

LBs

Michael R:

>Speaking of the Lightbringers, am i alone in believing that the LBQ (from
an orlanthing POV) aimed not to get Yelm back, but to awaken/resurrect Ernalda from her sleep/death and to free Elmal from the commands of Uncle
Yelm that held Elmal from leaving the Underworld?

Nope. That's a big part of the Sacred time rituals that we run in our ToDP/proto-Sartar game. I like Peter Metcalfe's explanation - during the first age, the quest was for the sun. Later on, the Elmal-Yelm dichotomy occurred, and Ernalda became a larger focus.

SARTAR Cory Davis

>what is so interesting about some inbred yokels who divide their time between
molesting sheep ..and murdering the yokels who live in the next valley because they stole 'granpappies pig'.

We enjoy these folk because they have no external legal system. (Jeff, who runs the game, is a proto-lawyer, so we spend a lot of time getting involved with legal issues.) By this I mean, law is as the very local community remembers and interprets it, not as imposed by the city guard, the priests, emperor, etc. This means that every action the PC's take may have big implications down the road. (You see how raiding cattle this year could lead to your kids starving the next.)

Much of the Orlanthi culture is devoted to defining law for each situation - beginning with the "greeting". (It establishes who each person is, their legal relationship to each other, and what subsequent actions are appropriate.) Hill folk use this intensely, because there is no external force keeping the peace or ordering society. It is literally life in an anarchy run by strongmen.

I realize this may not be everyone's idea of a thrilling campaign, but we find this an interesting theme to explore. This would not be as large a theme in a civilized Orlanthi campaign. We are also hoping to play it a long time, and see just how modern Sartar might have come to be. (We have certainly found the origins of the Varmandi-Orleving feud!)

We also have other campaigns which have very different themes. (Ralios - - life with loveable Orlanthi headhunters, and Alkoth - life in an extremely ordered society run by strongmen!)

RIDDLE Here's another puzzle, call is a Nysalorean riddle....

Why are these numbers in the following order?

854907632

Pam